Our students have tremendous potential.
My DISD teachers prepared me for success. My daughters have succeeded with a DISD education. That is what I want for every child in DISD.
For the last 26 years, I’ve been a student, parent and volunteer in DISD. I’ve seen many good things going on in the district, but also many challenges. I know that we can do better.
Helping our students reach that potential
My goal is to help the Dallas Independent School District become one of the best urban school districts in the country.
As trustee I will work to accomplish three things:
- recruiting and retaining great teachers and principals,
- increasing parent involvement and community partnerships, and
- creating a safe, welcoming, nurturing environment for teaching and learning.
My DISD teachers prepared me for success. My daughters have succeeded with a DISD education. This is what I want for every child in DISD.Whether you have kids in the district or not, how well DISD prepares our children to become productive citizens affects your quality of life – through the economy, crime rate, and the tax dollars you pay for criminal justice and social services.
For the last 14 years, I’ve been a parent and active volunteer in my children’s schools. I’ve gotten to know the teachers, the principals, and parents of every background. I’ve worked on the same struggles that face all District 7 schools – how to get more parents involved, pressuring the district to fix that big maintenance problem, raising funds to get teachers basic supplies for their classrooms.
These challenges are hard, but they are not insurmountable. I’d like to solve these challenges with you, as your District 7 Trustee.
Let’s move our students forward together!
- President, Project SEEE (Science Enrichment in Elementary Education) – University of Texas science and engineering majors doing special presentations in local classrooms. Grew program from 3 students in 1 classroom to 30 students at 3 schools. The program became so successful it was made into an elective course.
- Career day organizer at local elementary school
- 8th grade tutoring, working with student reading below grade level
- PTA Board, Parliamentarian, Silent Auction Chair
- PTA Nominating Committee – recruited parents from all backgrounds to become more involved through PTA board membership
- PTA Audit Committee – insuring PTA funds were collected and spent appropriately
- PTA Program Chair – worked to bring families into the school to learn about bullying, Internet safety, best practice study habits, etc.
- Classroom volunteer, Field trip chaperone, Career day presenter, Engineering demonstrations for Engineers Week
- Founder, North Oak Cliff School Fair – forum for neighborhood parents to learn about educational options for their children; 35 schools participated and 180 attended
- Education Town Hall meeting organizer – forum for parents, teachers and students to express concerns and hear from Trustees
- Women in Engineering Program Advisory Council – University of Texas
- Texas Scholars program presenter
- East Kessler Park Neighborhood Association – Board, Crime Watch Chair
- Kessler Neighbors United – Board, Crime Watch Chair
- North Oak Cliff United Police Patrol – Board, President, Communications, Neighborhood Representative – this organization operates the Dallas Police Department Expanded Neighborhood Patrol program in nine neighborhoods, which work cooperatively to share cost and patrol coverage. Crime has dropped 50% in the patrol area.
- Tyler Street United Methodist Church – Board of Trustees, Staff-Parish Relations Committee (personnel matters), Finance Committee, Sunday School teacher, Children’s Church leader, volunteer
- Texas Exes – Board of Directors (Houston), Exes for Texas, volunteer
- Leadership Dallas Class of 2004, Education Committee
- CASA Advocate – advocating for the educational, health and emotional needs of children removed from their parents by CPS
- Owner of commercial construction firm.
- Evaluated financials of business with low profitability. Corrected pricing problems and maximized capacity utilization, increased gross profit from 5% to 34%.
- Introduced new worker training initiatives and process improvement, which tripled plant shipment capability.
- Hired, trained and developed project management team and implemented accountability program for facility; plant on-time performance improved by 50 percentage points.
- Evaluated global business with poor on-time delivery and customer satisfaction. Recommended new strategy to executive leadership. Customers responded favorably by increasing purchases 25%.
- Improved standards for quality inspection and increased personal worker accountability for quality output. Facility obtained ISO 9001 certification and reduced quality issues by 75%.
- Led multi-functional team that re-engineered the company’s materials requirements planning process and reduced inventory by $600K.
- Used six-sigma methodology and value stream mapping to reduce cycle time for standard products from 55 days to 5 days.
- Improved customer satisfaction and restored confidence. Customer purchases increased 13%.
- Increased operating income by 20 percentage points through strategic and judicious budgeting and more efficient operations.
- Improved safety practices in plant. Achieved 1000 days without a lost-time accident.
- Recruited and retained high-performing leadership team.
- Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University, MBA and Masters of Engineering Management, summa cum laude
- University of Texas BS, Mechanical Engineering, with honors
- Southern Methodist University, Cox School of Business Executive Development Program
- Thomas Jefferson High School (Dallas ISD)
- Edward H. Cary Middle School (Dallas ISD)
- Stephen C. Foster Elementary (Dallas ISD)
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certified – globally-recognized approach to removing waste and improving quality
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Flowserve Advanced Leadership Training